Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Shout-Out PART VII

Crystal: There's not a memory I have from 2001-2004 that doesn't include Crystal. We were virtually siamese twins, but I wouldn't have expected that on the first day I met her. It was at our Dental Hygiene program orientation--she was standing off to the side of the room, with her arms crossed--I thought she looked like a snob. I could not have been MORE wrong!!! Come to find out, she already knew some of the girls in our class, and I would later discover why she was standoffish that day!!

Shortly after the program began, we found ourselves attached at the hip. It started with hanging out in between classes, riding to Head/Neck Anatomy/Cadaver Lab together, and me going to her house after class before I went in to work (waiting tables at Barkley's, which was up the street from her place). It quickly evolved into Crystal&Val Ladies' Nite every Thursday night. Without fail, the festivities would begin immediately after class on Thursday. We would start out by going to the mall (Charlotte Russe, specifically) where I would inevitably get turned around, EVERY TIME, and she would make fun of me. We would buy a new outfit, EVERY Thursday (at least a new shirt, anyway) to wear out that night. (Mom, Dad, isn't it good to know your money was going to a good cause??) We'd go back to my place, have a snack, maybe take a nap, practice our line dances... then we'd get all gussied up and head down to Brookside... Make an appearance at Barkley's, The Brook, or In the Raw... Oh but ladies' nite wasn't ladies' nite until we got to THE CARAVAN... If you're ever in Tulsa, PLEASE go to Caravan on a Thursday nite and give Jimmy a hug for us. He swing-danced us to the moon and back, every Thursday. He's the 60-something, clean-shaven man in the cowboy hat, t-shirt, jeans and boots that NEVER leaves the middle of the floor (yes he was old, but OH could he dance!!). Girls were literally waiting in line to dance with him (but we were his favorites of course.)

Where was I... Oh yeah, Crystal. She inspired this post, by the way. You have her to thank for my ramblings.

Before I knew it, we were each other's shadows. Besides Mike, I think she's the ONLY person on earth that I can be around 24/7 and still like one another! We were in school all day together, and she also joined me in the cocktail waitressing fun at Barkley's. Eventually we got an apartment together. Again... too many memories to recount... and I love every one of them. If you were at Mike and I's wedding, you know that Crystal has the voice of an angel. I get goosebumps every time I hear her sing. She would SO win American Idol. She is my snow-boarding, braided-pigtail-wearing, world-traveling, free-spirited, fellow teeth-cleaning friend. So many things--songs, foods, places, smells (she always smells really good)--take me back to memories I share with Crystal. She was my siamese twin sister, and she still loves me. Crystal, I am thankful for all of this!


December 2001. Crystal and I at Sullivan's annual Christmas party... in the bathroom!



I stole these two pics of CK1 off her Myspace...
I haven't seen her smiling face in person since August of last year,
so I don't have recent shots of her!