Jolene. We met in 1994 when I started modeling. I was 14, she was 18. She is seriously a real-live Barbie--6' tall, blond hair, blue eyes, perfect tatas... I was SO intimidated! But instead of turning her nose up at me, she took me under her wing. Where Leslie is the twin sister I never had, Jo is the big sister I never had. I won't publicize the crazy things we did together after our modeling gigs back then... I don't think my parents know to this day what I was out doing, so maybe we better leave it that way.
Jo taught me how to work a room, how to be a CONFIDENT. She is one of the most secure, assertive, and strongest women I have ever known. She is also one of the most beautiful; yet she's incredibly humble, genuine, down-to-earth, NOT cocky, and NOT stuck-up. She's the girl you WANT to hate because she's so hot (even AFTER 3 kids) but you just can't because she's so dang REAL. Even after our wild younger days, we stayed in touch. Ironically, we both ended up marrying baseball guys. Instead of "working the room" together, we now share mommy stories together. We go crazy together trying to be the perfect wives and mothers. We cry and laugh together when we realize what an impossible feat that is! We remind each other that it's okay when everything's NOT perfect. And for this, Jo--I thank you.

August 2000. Painting Westport red, or pink it seems.
(Yep, do the math, Mom and Dad. I wasn't 21 yet. Oops.)




No comments:
Post a Comment