Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Counting My Blessings... A Shout-Out to My Homegirls, PART I

Oh how my husband is going to make fun of me for that one....

***DISCLAIMER*** This particular series of posts will be of little or no interest to anyone except those who are mentioned in it. If you don't see your name, feel free to ignore me!

My friend Crystal called me last week, a few times. We have a game we like to play ALOT, it's called phone tag. This round was initiated by me, calling her on my drive home from work. My car is my mobile phone booth; it's the ONLY time I that I have to chit chat without distractions, disruptions, or guilt that I should be doing something more productive (like blogging, or spending time with my family). Thanks to the time difference (she lives in Colorado), Crystal is usually still working, or showing off her SICK snow-boarding skills on the mountain. Let the games begin… She calls me back, I'm playing with Brax. I call her back, she's having a drink with her hot young boyfriend. She calls me back, I'm cleaning up dinner. I call her back, she's out galavanting around her quaint little ski town. And it goes on. We'll get back to her in a minute.

She called (at just the right time) to tell me that she read the blog, she enjoyed it, and that she thinks I might be a little OCD about it. (Can you believe that?? ME? OCD??) She said "No wonder you never answer your phone, you're always BLOGGING you freakin' nerd!" She may have a point...

BUT, in my defense, if I tried to call each and every one of my beloved girlfriends as often as I blog, my husband might have to get a second job to pay for my cell phone bill. I see this as a mode of mass communication; it's the only way I can consistently keep in touch with everyone. Now don't get me wrong, the internet is NOT a replacement for a good ol' fashioned phone call, lunch date, or nite out with the girls every now and then, but let's face it--living in different cities, having husbands and kids to raise, a job to show up for, and a house to keep up, I know I would fail miserably at maintaining my treasured friendships if we didn't have our blogs/Myspace/Facebook to keep everyone posted! (And yes, Crystal has a Facebook AND a Myspace, but she also has this thing called free time to talk on the phone. Oh, how I miss free time.)

Am I rambling yet?? I'm not done. I told you to stop reading a long time ago... Unless, of course, you're just waiting to see if you get a shout out-here. Then keep reading...

So in the spirit of showing my BFF's some blog-love, I'd like to tell each and every one of you how much you really mean to me. Now this is also a test of how many of my BFF's actually read this diarrhea of my mouth... If I don't hear back from you I'll know my efforts are futile. And FYI, this will be done in installments... I tried finishing this post all at once before I published it, but after a week of trying (I'm still not finished) I figured I'd just do one homegirl at a time...

Where do I start... I guess from "oldest" to "newest"...

Leslie. I'll have to short-hand this one or I'll never finish. We met in Mrs. Gilliam's 7th grade social studies class, 1992. In highschool, Les was always my homecoming princess or prom queen or something RAD like that; at least if I wasn't picked I could say I did the most popular girl's hair and make-up... she was voted "Best Smile" our senior year. The girl EVERY guy fell in love with, and the girls too--not one person has ever NOT loved Leslie. The twin sister I never had. Comes from the most perfect, strongest parents ever. Classy. Genuine. Lights up a room just by being there. Life of the party. The best step-mommy ever. No drama.

We have too many inside jokes and stories to mention. She remained friends with me even after I was mad at her for tearing up HER knee on MY spring break!!!!!! (Les, I am still very sorry about that, BTW. But it WAS fun pushing you through the airport in a wheelchair and holding the barf bag for you on the airplane while you vomited your pain meds up.) She's the person I can walk miles down memory lane with. High school was one long double date (BK/ZC, MB/random soccer buddies, DB/hearing impaired buddy... hey, he could read lips. At least there was no uncomfortable silence on HIS end.)

She tried to tell me The Bachelor was NOT THE ONE. She didn't say "I told you so" when I realized how right she was. She drove me to Austin the first time I went to visit Mike, to make sure he took care of me. She was my maid of honor, I was hers. She married a genius, whom Mike and I both love. She missed me so much she got Mike and I back to KC. She stayed up ALL NIGHT with us to watch Brax come into this world (and took pictures! Now THAT'S a true friend!) And she will make me an "Aunt" when she joins the mommy-club in December!!

Leslie, for all this, I thank you. We have truly grown up together. The journey continues...

October 2005. Leslie's wedding day.


August 2006. We have too many pictures to pick from.

No comments: