Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's Chili Season!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the outside temp drops below 65, I am ready for chili. In celebration of the first pot of the season, I thought I would share with you my recipe (everyone has a different chili recipe!) We call this "COP-OUT CHILI." The recipe is from my sweet Granny Lou, but the name was coined by my sweet husband. He gets tired of chili rather quickly (unlike myself) because when I make it, I make ALOT, and we eat it for DAYS. He says I just like it because then I don't have to cook for like a week (hence, the cop-out.)
Shhh... don't tell him... he's right!



COP-OUT CHILI:



Shopping List:
1 lb. ground turkey burger (85/15, it has a little fat in it)
16 oz. bag of frozen sweet corn
1 package of chili seasoning (hot or mild, whatever you like)
1 big bottle of SPICY V8 juice
1 can each--dark red kidney beans, light red kidney beans, and pinto beans
1 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
2 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix



Preheat the oven to 4oo (for the cornbread).
In a big stock pot, brown your meat. This is a one-dish meal!
After it's about halfway cooked, add your package of seasoning.

While the meat is cooking, drain and rinse the beans.

Now add the beans, the tomato sauce, the stewed tomatoes, and the V8 juice.
Bring that to a boil.

Add the bag of corn and turn the heat down a little.

While the chili simmers,
make your cornbread according the directions on the box.
But then add about 2 spoonfulls of SUGAR!
That's the "secret ingredient" Granny Lou says.

Let it simmer till it's hot all the way thru and the corn is cooked.

We like to top ours off a little--lots of ketchup in mine, and Mike likes mustard and relish in his! Throw in a little cheese and voila!

I think this took about 45 minutes from start to finish.

No comments: