Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Wish I Could Be Bored

My 18 year old brother, recently home from his first year of college at Clemson, posted an update on Facebook stating how bored he already is with being home for the summer. This was actually his second comment on the severity of his boredom, and the guy has only been home like 2 weeks I think!

Oh, to be young and bored again.

I cannot remember the last time I felt bored.

I cannot remember the last time EVERYTHING was crossed off my to-do list.

I cannot remember the last time I sat down on the couch and didn't think about the things I should be doing instead.

So to my brother... to my younger self... to all those new high school graduates ready to take on the world....

ENJOY YOUR MOMENTS OF BOREDOM. Every now and then, it's GOOD to have time to sit and reflect on nothing more than the breeze on your skin, the color of the sky, or the smell in air. Before you know it, each and every day will be a whirlwind of housework, appointments, errands, conference calls and emails, and eventually children of your own. There will be no time to think about nothing-the wheels in your brain will be turning 100 mph, trying to process life.

So now, when you find yourself bored to tears, go eat some pizza (and not have to worry about it making you fat) then take a nap. A blissful, food-induced coma in the the middle of the day, completely guilt free. Go read a book. (Do people still do that anymore?) Learn how to do something new and fun--something you enjoy--whether it's a sport, cooking, dancing, a foreign language, a musical instrument.... anything. Call your grandma or grandpa, just to chat. The next time you "have time" to talk to them, they may not be here anymore. Go tell one of your parents that you would like to go on a dinner date with them---you have NO IDEA how much they miss one-on-one time with you, and plus, you'll get a free meal. Get to know lots of different kinds of people, so you figure out exactly what you don't want in a spouse. Exercise for no other reason than simply because you can. And one last thing--get to know God (fortunately, my sweet brother has this part figured out). The relationship you forge with God at this stage of your life will carry you thru the next 10-15 years as you figure out how to go from a "kid" to a "grown-up," and on from there.

If I think of anything else for you to do, I'll let you know.
I've got to go work on MY to-do list now.

No comments: