Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Our Eczema Cure

Remember Kelly and Harper? Today she mentioned that Harper is really having a problem with eczema, and wondered if we (her stalkers?) had any suggestions... Hopefully our "regime" helps Harper, and other little ones with this condition.

Brax was born with this beautifully clear, tan (jaundiced) skin.



At about 3-4 months old, right about when the weather turned cool and dry, he started getting scaly, red patches mostly on his forehead, scalp, and in the creases of his neck. Being the OCD skin person I am (I have like 8 creams/ointments/meds for MY skin), I promptly took him to our dermatologist (the pediatrician blew me off.) They told me to avoid fabric softeners, dryer sheets, and detergents w/ fragrance/colors. They also said to use a cool mist (not the steam kind) humidifier in his room, bath him EVERY nite (the brief exposure to moisture is actually GOOD for their skin) and only use Dove Sensitive Bar soap on the stinky parts (pits, diaper area, hands/feet). They said to immediately dry him after the quick bath (5-10 minutes) and slather him with Aquaphor and/or Cetaphil--don't let his skin air dry. They also gave me a 2% steroid cream to use a couple of times a week on stubborn areas.

So I did all this.

And he was ok, for awhile.

Then spring came. With allergies. And the worst break out to date.
When Brax was about 8 months old, we went to my in-laws. I didn't even think to prewash their bathtowels to get rid of fragrance/dyes, and I also made the mistake of putting Brax in a seersucker button up shirt that was very scratchy. That night, I bathed him, and literally as I dried him off with the "toxic towel" his skin erupted before my eyes into the worst all-over rash I've ever seen.

The offending shirt.
My poor baby...
It was in his hair and ears...


all over his trunk...



behind his knees...
in the crook of his arms...

under his neck...
I was a BASKET CASE for the rest of our visit. (I may have overreacted a little, in hindsight!)
I thought I was an awful mommy for letting this happen, and was just SURE that Brax had some horrible flesh-eating autoimmune disorder (after reading WAYYY to much on the internet.)
As soon as we got home, we went back to the dermatogist. She confirmed a severe breakout of eczema, and gave us a script for oral Prednisone to be taken on a decreasing dose for one week and a stronger topical steroid (12%) to use daily until this episode cleared, as well as a prescription body wash/shampoo called Ovace (sulfacetamide). She also recommended giving him children's Zyrtec daily thru allergy season (I think we continued in into the summer time.)

These medications (which must be used carefully and according to directions--overuse can have negative side effects) healed Brax within days.
After that, I was sure to be even more strict with our daily routine, and the clothes/fabrics he came into contact with. We still do everything the same as far as detergents and moisturizers, but he no longer takes Zyrtec, and we haven't had to do anymore hard-core steroids. Every now and then he'll show up with a little bump here or there, so I'll apply the 2% cream, but that is rare. If I notice his skin getting dry or rough, I will was him with the Ovace, but I typically just use Dove for sensitive skin.
***I recommend mixing a bit of Aquaphor WITH the Cetaphil cream in the palm of your hand to make it less greasy. When I do have to use the steroid cream, I always mix it in with the two so it dilutes it and spreads it evenly.***
And Brax now has perfectly clear, soft skin (thank you God and Linley-the PA we see at Dr. Kaplan's office!!!)
Good luck to any eczema mom's who may be reading this.... It gets better!

MY ECZEMA ARSENAL:
SULFACETAMIDE WASH (OVACE IS THE BRAND NAME. SCRIPT ONLY.)

OXI CLEAN FREE FOR STAIN REMOVAL

DOVE SENSITIVE BAR SOAP


BOUNCE FREE AND CLEAR DRYER SHEETS
TO HELP W/ STATIC IN THE WINTER



ALL FREE AND CLEAR DETERGENT (NO DREFT! IT HAS FRAGRANCE!)



CETAPHIL CREAM (YOU CAN GET GENERIC AT WALMART!)



AQUAPHOR (NO GENERIC AVAILABLE.
EXPENSIVE, BUT A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY.)



2 comments:

Mrs. Tracy Wood said...

you are a great informative mommy! I hope this helps baby harper!!!

Nate, Abbey, Noah, Blaire and Tatum said...

Bless his heart, I remember that! And hello, shabbyblogs.com BEST layouts ever!