Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Update on the Lesson in Kindness

I don't think that whole scheduling fiasco happened for nothing....

Remember the elderly man I mentioned-we'll call him Mr. C- The one who took D's appointment time today?

As soon as I greeted Mr. C in the lobby, I could see that he was in pain, and his health had greatly deteriorated since our last visit just 3 months ago. As soon as he sat down we got to chatting. (I often spend the first 20 minutes of our appointment time just visiting, asking questions and listening to my patient's stories. I believe it's more important to get to know the person behind the mouth than to nit-pick every aspect of their oral hygiene. Most grown-ups know they need to floss!) Anyway, Mr. C has had 4 back surgeries after breaking 3 vertebrae in is neck when he was in his 40's, and is scheduled for another in June. (This is why he needed to get in and get his dental check-up ASAP.) Before I even opened my mouth to offer generic words of encouragement, such as "Oh, you'll bounce right back! You're only 87 years old, ya know!", Mr. C's eyes welled up with tears.

"They don't know if I'll make it through the surgery," he said as the tears made their way over the bags under his tired eyes and onto his wrinkled, sun-spotted face.

Whoa. I've never really discussed death with someone who was so seemingly close to it.

"I feel like I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel," he added.

After I hugged him for what seemed like 3 minutes, Mr. C gestured for me to get started with his cleaning, as the words stuck behind the lump in his throat.

As I looked over his mouth (and the restorations that are twice as old as I am), the thought ran thru my mind--I wonder if Mr. C is a Believer?

You know, like a believer in GOD, a believer that God sent Jesus to die for our sins so that we could see the light at the end of the tunnel, stand outside the pearly gates, and walk with angels when our number was called.

I continued to converse with myself... If he IS, then surely he wouldn't be so frightened... so sad... Isn't that what having hope in God is all about? Knowing that He has better things waiting for us on the other side?? Maybe I should "witness" to him? Is that what it's called, when you talk to someone about how much God loves them? God, is that You talking to me? Am I supposed to actually ask this patient, while I'm digging around in his gums, if he believes in You???? But what if he says no??? Then what am I gonna say? I am SO not the person to do that. Are you there??? I need to know what to say if he says NO!

As it often happens, the words came out of my mouth before I had a chance to stuff them back in. I let out a mental sigh of relief when Mr. C said with exclamation, "Of course I am a believer!"
I continued with his cleaning, relieved that I didn't have to fumble to try and find the words that would "save" Mr. C from the fear of death. (I was reminded that God doesn't need a salesman or a defense attorney... The Big Guy can take care of his own PR.) And then, God used Mr. C to show me the words I words I was looking for, for future reference I suppose.

Mr. C, who as I mentioned in my earlier post, always recites his own poetry to me when I see him. He has written over 3,000 poems and published several books. This is the one he shared with me at that moment:

I’ve written in these pages
Some religious poetry;
Explaining just how much the Son
Of God has meant to me.

I often stop and marvel,
Mainly as each day begins;
To think that God loves us so
much,
His son died for our sins.

Now, I would trust those reading this
All feel the same as I.
And, hope to see Christ face to face,
When it is time to die.

But, while we live, life must go on,
And this I will confide;
I have no fear, full knowing,
Christ is always at my side.

If you have not been born again,
I ask in Jesus’ name.
Invite Him in and you will find,
You’ll never been the same.



I don't think God could have answered me more clearly than that. Would it be weird if I printed his poem on business cards that I could just hand to people I thought could use some saving??? I kid, I kid.

I guess we're all a little scared of the journey into death, but I think it's comforting to know where we'll end up once it's said and done. And the especially cool thing that I'm sloooowwwwly coming to realize is that there is nothing I can do that will make me worthy of His mercy; that faith in Him alone will get me there. It kinda takes the pressure off, don't ya think?

And "D," who, by the way, left another hateful message on our voicemail this morning, well I don't feel the least bit remorseful about mistakenly giving her appointment time to Mr. C. Maybe I'll give her a copy of his poem next time she comes in.
(IF she ever comes back... Her loss if she doesn't!!!)

But wait, there's more!

I have to share with you the sweet birthday poem Mr. C emailed to me just now! (I gave him my email address so I could get a copy of the poem above.) He made my day!

Happy Birthday, Valerie


Today is extra special;
It’s a special day today;
That you are one year older,
29, I heard you say.

I would have baked a cake,
But didn’t know your favorite kind.
I would have bought a gift,
Except I’m short of funds, I find.

However, it’s the thought that counts
And I hope you agree,
Because this email card is all
You’re going to get from me.

2 comments:

LilRedJo said...

What a blessing. Funny how God uses hateful people too...without them knowing it!! 'D' thought she was 'sticking it to ya.' Little did she know, she gave you a true blessing....Praise the Lord.

The Schmitt Family said...

Tear. Tear. I do love reading your blog Val, the posts about Brax are ALWAYS wonderful (can't wait to meet him one day), but I do especially love posts like this. Keep 'em coming. I hate to say I have not posted in over a month... life just gets in the way, doesn't it? Happy Belated B-day!!!