Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 25, 2009

I Need Input

As I was rocking Brax before bed tonite, I was sitting there staring at his crib. I really think I may have a harder time with the transition to a big boy bed than he will! I almost started crying thinking about the LAST time he'll sleep in it. Yes, that's months away, but remember-I hate lasts! Then I started worrying---when is the "right" time to boot him out of his crib? Is he going to be sad? How long before the new baby comes? Should I do it before or after his nap that day? Should I keep the bed oriented the same way so he's not confused when he wakes up? Should I just put the mattress on the floor for awhile in case he falls out? Do I need to completely empty his drawers in case he decided to rummage around? Then I took a deep breath.... and reminded myself that I am not the first momma to deal with this, and there are first-borns everywhere sleeping peacefully in their big-kid beds while their pilfering little brothers or sisters slumber away in what used to be THEIR crib. So take the poll over there on the top right of the page--tell me when to make the switch.

1 comment:

Amanda and Dillon said...

We switched Ava over as soon as she thought she might try to climb out of her crib, at 18mos. Luckily we found this great day bed with a trundle under it so it was still enclosed on 3 sides. We put it together after nap time, and she slept in it the first night no problems at all. I think she was too scared to fall out so she never tried to get down and play (which was my biggest worry), and didn't start falling out of bed until just recently. So...I think the earlier the better, especially before he starts to connect it with your expanding belly, which was of course another battle with Ava. As soon as we bought Ethan's crib and set it up (even though I was only about 9 weeks along) she started having potty accidents when she had been completely potty trained for a whole year. Whatever you decide, good luck. Whether it's his crib or potty training he will connect something with the new baby and will regress in some way. Just be prepared!