Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, January 26, 2009

I Just Want to Remember This

Got home from work a little early. Already hungry on the way home. Brax was having a rough day-getting 2 more molars in on top and another front tooth. He just wanted to snuggle on the couch-which I will gladly give up food for. Made him creamy chicken noodle soup for dinner since he didn't feel so great, but of course I had to help him get it in his mouth, so again--I had to wait to eat. After he was done, my opportunity to eat was gone because you can't eat in front of him without him attacking you like a ravenous dog. Didn't want him spilling my chips and salsa everywhere. Decided to wait until he went to bed. Gave him a bath, read books, rocked. Put him in bed like usual, but he had a death grip on me and started to cry. So we rocked some more, with my stomach growling. He seemed asleep-got up to put him in bed--death grip and screaming again. Rocked some more. We went thru this process like 4 more times (which is rare for him, so I knew he just didn't feel good and was overly sleepy from not napping well today), all the meanwhile my stomach was eating itself. Finally I just put him in bed and let him soothe himself (yes, that means I let him cry it out) and he was asleep in 10 minutes. So at 8pm, I FINALLY ate dinner (BRINNER, made by Mike!)
The point of the story---while I was rocking him, consumed by hunger, I was also thinking about what a precious time this is. He seems so "big" to me--with his freshly bathed, yummy smelling head resting on my chest, his feet reach my knees--yet he's still little enough to want Momma when he doesn't feel good. Starving as I was, I felt a little warm and fuzzy inside knowing that all he needed to feel calm and peaceful was for me to hold him. I know that before long, he will have problems that I can't fix, or that he doesn't want me to fix. I will long for him to to come to me with his hurt, whether it be physical or emotional, and I will ache to make it better. My appetite will be lost knowing that I can't. But tonite, as my mouth watered for the breakfast burritos that were waiting for me downstairs, I got another chance to make it all better. Or maybe it was the Motrin/teething tablet cocktail I gave him?

No comments: