I had a check up today (11 weeks along). Mike has been in Florida since Wednesday, but his mom is here with Brax and I. I went alone to my appointment, since I knew Brax would have more fun playing at home w/ Grammy than sitting in a waiting room. I went in to hear the heartbeat for the first time, and of course I whipped out my camera to record it so I could show Mike later. For whatever reason, I waited to start recording until he actually found it. He joked that I jinxed him by putting him on the spot. About a minute later, he suggested we get a sono... maybe my uterus was tilted and that's why he was having a hard time finding the heartbeat. I asked him if I should be worried yet. He said no. So I wasn't.
I went back to the waiting room until a sono tech was ready. Kim, the same tech that scanned me every time with Brax, happened to be the first available. I LOVE her, she is like a good friend. She started the external belly scan, and I immediately knew it was gone. The baby was much bigger than last time, but there was no sign of that little flutter in it's chest. She then did an internal scan, just in case, but still nothing. I could tell she was flustered, nervous. I was trying not to cry so my belly wouldn't shake. She went and grabbed the Doc, he came in to look and confirmed it. Doc was pretty unemotional about it, very kind, but he left pretty quickly. (I guess even male doctors hate seeing women cry!!!) Kim cried with me and hugged me. I was so thankful it was her that did the scan. Doc also pointed out all the structural abnormalities, which Kim agreed that she had noticed too. I'm not a sono expert, but even I can see that the baby wasn't formed right. I posted a few different images below... the first is Brax's sono at 8 weeks along, so you can see "normal." You can clearly see his head, distinctly from his body, as well as the spinal column. Then there is this baby's 8 week sono. I remember thinking it looked more blobby than Brax did--but I just credited Brax for being more photogenic. Then there is this baby's sono from today...

This one at 8 weeks
Today... Do you see the bulge behind it's head? And the outline around it's abdominal organs, that's fluid. Also, they said something about the amniotic sac around it not being right.
I know SO MANY people who have had miscarriages. You NEVER think it will happen to YOU, tho. I left in a hurry, a blur. Called Mike, parents, etc. Came home and cried, thankful Grammy Sue was here. Brax wiped my tears. I put him down for a nap... he let me rock him to sleep which I was thankful for (sometimes he wiggles around till I put him in bed.) I needed to snuggle him. I talked to God a little while I rocked him. I thanked Him for Brax, and I thanked him for taking this baby to be with Him and making it perfect NOW, rather than letting it be born, letting it suffer, letting my heart break even more watching that... I KNOW that this is so much better, but with that said, I am still sad. Sad to let go of the dreams I had for THIS baby, sad to scratch out all the weekly countdowns I had in my planner, sad that I have to carry a baby that is not alive in my belly until Monday, sad that when I wake up from that D&C all that will be left is my huge gut, sad that I was complaining about having a huge gut this whole time, guilty that maybe it was something I did to make it's chromosomes go all wacko (they will test the chromosomes after the D&C so maybe we'll know more later), logically knowing that it was not... sad that we have to wait to try again (but I'm sure learning patience had something to do with this plan God has for us).... oh I could go on but I'd rather focus on the good.
I have a perfect, healthy, handsome, ornery little boy. I have a perfect baby waiting in heaven for me when I get there someday, but right now my Grandma is taking care of her (she never got to meet any of her great grand children.) I did not have to watch my child suffer here on earth, unlike many mothers I have read about on these blogs.
Oh and by the way, I helped myself to some retail therapy today. I bought some new running shoes... it's been exactly one year since I've run anywhere other than across the room to keep Brax from throwing away his toys. I'll let you know my first run goes!
Mike just pulled into the drive... looking forward to a big hug :-)





9 comments:
We've already talked, but I wanted to comment here too. I'm praying. Glad Mike's home...
I'm in tears! Thank you for sharing that. You are so strong and positive. It's so hard losing a baby at any time and I'm so sorry you had to go through it. I love you so much!! I'll join you on that run if you want.
My heart hurts for you Val. But I do appreciate you sharing your story with us. We are praying for you and your little one...and will be thinking of you on Monday.
Oh sweet Val. I've got tears streaming down my face reading all that you said. I hurt so much for you right now and for Mike. I love the precious baby too. What you said about him/her being healed now is so sweet and true. Less suffering for you and for the baby. You are strong, girl! Knowing what we know about God's love gives the most comfort. His words are the only ones that can heal that kind of pain. We are praying for you and we love all of you.
Hey Val, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost a baby at 8 weeks so I feel your pain. As I read your post I sat and cried for you, your little one and for my little one that I will meet one day. Maybe the two are playing together. Your in my prayers. Love ya girl.
Val, you know me and you know I typically have a ton of words to share but I am at a loss. I love and care for you like a sister. Heck I see you more than my own. This will be hard on our little work family. We are all so sad and sorry. Take care of you! Keep in touch as you can.
XO
I am also in tears. You are such a beautiful and strong person Val. I love all of you guys so much and I can't wait to see you again.
Val, I am so sorry. My heart is just, broken....
Mike and Val,
We hurt for you and know that it's hard to understand, but in His infinite wisdom, God has a plan for that baby and the one that waits to be held in your arms. Yes, patience is sometimes a very hard thing to learn and believe me because I'm still learning.
Luv you guys,
Lynn & Kathy
Post a Comment