Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Research and Blessings

I ask a lot of questions. I can never accept an answer without a supporting explanation. (You can imagine my parents' frustration when they would say "Because I said so," and I would respond with "But whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?????????") The same applies to this situation. I am very interested in the physiology of what went wrong here. I Googled "fetal nuchal translucency" (the medical term for that bulge behind the baby's head/neck area) and found the following:
First, here are some images I compared. The first is MY ultrasound from Friday, at 11 weeks (The baby was measuring at 10 weeks, 4 days, so I guess that means we lost it earlier in the week.)
The rest are other images I found on Google of FNT's.

Mine

Others:









Everything I read was consistent in indicating that a thickened nuchal translucency is essentially a diagnosis of a chromosomal abnormality, specifically Trisomies 21, 18, and 13. Trisomy 21 is Down's Syndrome (which in and of itself is not fatal, and is hardly the worst thing that could happen), but it is also closely linked to severe heart defects. Trisomies 18 and 13 are much worse, and are almost always life threatening.

click HERE to learn more about what a FNT is.

clike HERE for more about FNT's

click HERE to learn more about the related chromosomal abnormalities

After reading this information, I am even more at peace with the path God has chosen for us with this baby. I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but I have to admit that I am thankful He did not over-estimate me here. It is every mother's worst nightmare to have to watch their baby suffer.

So.... I go in tomorrow morning at 8am, D&C at 10, should be home by noon.

And then we go on from there...


P.S. Thank you so much to all you girls (family AND friends alike) that have called to check on me, emailed me, and talked me thru this.... Seriously, what would we do without girlfriends??????????? I am so blessed to have "sisters." I love you!!

No comments: