Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

An Ordinary Day

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the movie "Groundhog Day," where Bill Murray wakes up to the same exact day over and over. Most of you know I'm a creature of habit--I do love routine--but at the same time, some nights I go to bed thinking about how I'll wake up only to repeat the day over again!
Here is a video of one author's (Katrina Kenison) take on these "ordinary days." It made me appreciate them.







I have to remind myself that this season of life will pass before I know it. I will not always have get up in the middle of the night to feed my baby. I will not always have to set my alarm for 4:45 am (if I want to run) or 6:00 to beat the kids up so I can be ready for the day. My days will not always be full of schedules to stick to in order to avoid cranky children-eating times, nap times... The timer won't always be ticking between potty breaks...
I wanted to do a blog post about what my "ordinary day" is like so that some day, when that day comes that I wake up and think, "Whoa... Where did all that time go?", I can look back and find the answer!

If I run, I get up at 4:45 am-run 5 miles from 5-6am
If I don't run, I get up at 6 (even on the weekends!)
6am-Shower and get ready
6:30-Pump and eat breakfast (peanut butter toast with a banana and milk) at the same time. Also check emails/blog while I pump (I have a hands-free bra that holds the pump on and my laptop allows me to do stuff on the computer while sitting on the couch pumping! Talk about multi-tasking, right?)
7am-Kids get up around this time. Noelle gets to our house at this time on days that I work (Tues-Thurs.) I get my stuff together for work, love on the kids for a minute, then leave by 7:15. 5:00-Home from work, hurry and change clothes, play with the kids
5:30-The kids and I eat dinner (if I don't eat then, it's after 8 before I sit down again and I don't want to eat that late!)
6-7ish-Mike gets home. When he is home "early" (before 6:30!) he is so much help with the rest of the evening...
6:00-I bathe and feed Harper while Brax either watches TV or plays with Daddy if he's home. She is in bed for the night by 6:45. She wakes anywhere from 3-5am to eat, then goes back to sleep till 7am.
6:45-7:30-clean up dinner stuff, play with Brax.
7:30-Bathe Brax, read books, he is in bed by 8ish and sleeps till at least 7am, sometimes till 7:30.
8ish-SILENCE!!!! I can breathe! I shower, and get things laid out and ready for the next day. I pump and do stuff on the computer, then I am ready for sleep by 9:30!

--From 7-5 the day includes:
7:30/10:30/1:00/3:30-Harper eats
8:30/11:00/1:30-Harper naps
7:30/12-Brax eats
1:00-Brax naps

--Mondays are "fun day" where I try to take them on an outing of some kind, even if it's just to the park. I typically have all my household chores done so that day is just for them. I love the KC Parent website for finding local events that are going on.

--Tues/Wed/Thurs I work; Miss Noelle comes at 7am. She takes Brax to preschool at 8:30, picks him up at 12:30. I am home by 5. As soon as I get home on Thursday nites I immediately start laundry-I get 3 of the 7 loads I do each week washed and dried before I go to bed. (Our colors, whites, and a load of towels.) Miss Noelle vacuums the downstairs for me on Thursdays, which helps keep the high-traffic area looking decent.

--Fridays are "chore" days. I fold the laundry from the nite before, then do 3 more loads (our sheets, then the kids' loads, which I do separately. I do another load of Harper's laundry on Monday because we ALWAYS run out of clean burp cloths and bibs!) I empty the trash cans throughout the house, run and empty the dishwasher, and "spit shine" the kitchens and bathrooms. Brax has swim lessons every Friday afternoon after nap.

--Every 4-6 weeks I clean the house from top to bottom (or if I can negotiate it with my husband, I have a cleaning lady come... this usually means a trade off for more golf time!) I either clean at nite after the kids go to bed or on the weekend when Mike is home to entertain them-otherwise it takes me 3 times as long. I'd rather just do it at nite because I hate wasting time cleaning when I could be spending it with the kids. If I can clean without interruption, it takes me 3-4 hours.

--Saturdays and Sundays I try to make family time, and get out and about. Mike likes to golf at least once per weekend. Depending on our weekend plans, I go to the grocery store at some point. We've kind of been homebodies since Harper was born, but we try and get Brax out to do fun things. We'll go to a new park, play in the pool in the backyard, etc. Brax's summer weekend plans include: Family trip to Grammy and Pop Pop's in OK, Day Out With Thomas, sleepover at Aunt Laura's, neighborhood pool party, family visit to great grandparents' for the 4th of July, 2 visits from Grandpa Russ, and his 3rd B-Day party.
Mike and I have been trying to do more date nights on Saturdays! I love date night!
I need to incorporate more running into my weekends... right now I'm doing good to get in two 5 mile runs during the week, and I want to add a long run on Saturday or Sunday morning to prepare for a 1/2 marathon I want to do in late September. Lack of time (and motivation, if we're being honest here) and a desire for more sleep has kept me from doing this!!!!

My ordinary days! Each one is a gift, even if I don't stop to realize it. They go way too fast.

No comments: