Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The One... Revisited--Harper's Birth Story

I had begun to convince myself that Harper was going to hang out in there until someone told her otherwise. On Friday, Jan. 29th, at 37 weeks (the point at which my water broke with Brax), I was only 1 cm and 50% effaced. I had already started my preparing my case to convince my OB that he should induce me on Feb. 12 (one week early). Turns out, that wouldn't be necessary...

Wednesday, Feb. 3--
Brax and I met my friend Leslie and her little boy at play-gym in the morning. I did a lot of walking around as we chatted and chased our boys. Leslie joked that she would be expecting my call later that I was in labor!

That night, I put Brax to bed, showered, and went downstairs for our nightly ritual of watching House Hunters on HGTV. I also got in a Tivo'd episode of American Idol. As I was watching, I kept getting distracted by the frequency of my Braxton Hicks contractions (which I have all the time anyway). At about 9pm, we started timing them. Over the course of an hour, they ranged from 3-8 minutes apart, but not really painful. I called my OB, she said we could either come in now or wait awhile... So we decided to wait. My Aunt Laura would have to drive all the way over here to stay with Brax if we went, so I wanted to be SURE! We watched another 2 hours of HGTV and continued to time the contractions. Around 11, I called Laura. We packed up our stuff and headed to the hospital around 12:30 am.

They checked me-I was 3 cm, 70%. They wanted to watch me for an hour and if I progressed they would keep me, if not, I'd go home. Poor Mike slept on the ledge next to the window while we waited. I did not change, so we went home.

Got home at 2:30 am, went to bed. The contractions were still not very painful, just a little uncomfortable, so I was able to sleep for a few hours.

Thursday, February 4
When Brax woke up at 7, I got up and around as well. My contractions were starting to be more uncomfortable by then, so I was glad Laura was still there to take care of Brax. I started timing again, and at this point they were 3-5 minutes apart.

Called the doc, they said to head back to the hospital! I was confident that this was the real deal, so I wanted to shower again and get pretty! The contractions were hurting a little now, but I got cleaned up while Mike re-loaded the car and got ready himself.

I was so thankful to have Laura available-she was free to be with Brax all day so I had no worries. She dropped him off at preschool... little did he know what was happening that day!

We got BACK to the hospital at about 9am. I was now 5-6cm, fully effaced. I was there to stay!
I immediately asked for the epidural--I was hurting pretty bad by then. My next step was to call my friend Jen who would be our photographer for the big event! She was there within 10 minutes, camera in hand!

They started my bloodwork for the the epidural and got me moved to labor and delivery. The contractions hurt bad enough for me to take them up on the offer to be wheeled down the hall!
My BFF, Leslie, who was there for Brax's birth, arrived shortly thereafter. She would be manning the video camera for me! (And she got me Sonic right afterwards... LOVE HER!)

After what seemed like forever, I finally got my epidural at about 11:30. I immediately recognized the anesthesiologist--it was the same guy who did my epidural with Brax! He was my favorite person that day, and was again this day! After about 10 minutes, I was blissfully happy.

Around 12, the nurse confidently said I would have a baby in my arms by 3pm. I did not believe her. My mom left Tulsa around 1:00... it was apparent that Harper was going to beat her here!

When the nurse checked me the next time, she asked what we thought I'd be at. We all guessed 7cm... she announced that I was 10cm and ready to push!!!!!! I kept saying, "SHUT UP! YOU'RE KIDDING ME!" I wanted to enjoy the euphoria of being pain-free for awhile longer (after dealing with back pain for so many months and knowing my girl-parts would be a little out of sorts by the time this was all said and done, I thought I deserved it!)... I was having fun chatting with my girlfriends and eating cherry popsicles!!!

I couldn't believe it was time... The past year and 3 months flashed before my eyes. December, 2008, I got pregnant. February 19, 2009, I found out I had lost the baby, and that it was a girl. I remember crying, wondering, "What if that was my only daughter?" The next 3 months were the most emotional months of my life... You can read my thoughts about that loss HERE. Looking back, it is just incredible to see how God's plan unfolded... And how it was about to culminate with the birth of this baby girl. He is so good!

2:00 pm... My doctor comes in. I "assume the position" and begin to push. I have had a cough the last few weeks, and when I coughed, he told me to stop doing that or I was going to cough her out she was so close! I pushed thru one contraction, then on my 3rd push, at 2:06 pm, THERE SHE WAS.

THE ONE. (You'll know what I mean if you read the post I linked to above...)

2 comments:

LilRedJo said...

Thank you for sharing Val. Beautiful recollection of events.

The Schmitt Family said...

If we were living in the same town we would likely be inseparable. Our interests are so much alike. I must watch HGTV every night before bed - House Hunters & Property Virgins are my favorites!! Idol, of course, is definitely on my DVR weekly. Anyhow, what a wonderful story. I am living vicariously through you at the moment. We pray that God blesses us with another little baby real soon. Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!