Quote

"I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."
"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Lesson in Toddler Birthday Parties

I have discovered that hosting a party where toddlers are involved is nothing like throwing an adults-only soiree. Last weekend, we celebrated Brax's 2nd birthday with several of our family and friends in Tulsa, as well as their children. A long time friend was gracious enough to open their gorgeous home (and pool) to for the kid-centered event. (Pictures to follow soon!)

The party was a success... I believe fun was had by all. However, there are a few things I will modify when planning Brax's next party (which is on August 8, for our family and friends here in KC! As much as parties stress me out, I LOVE THEM!)

Note to Self:


1. Don't worry that everyone forgot the party and that you're a big loser when your guests aren't there right on time. Remember that your friends are dealing with toddlers of their own as they attempt to get out the door. Just like your kid, their kid has no concept of what it means to be on time. If the invite says the party starts at 4, it really starts at 6. Plan accordingly.

2. When planning the menu, there are several things to remember. First and foremost, divide what you would consider "normal" portions by two thirds. When is the last time you and your spouse got to sit down--together--and eat an entire meal while your children sat patiently at your feet?

Riiiight.

Never.

Your adult guests will not have the opportunity to enjoy heaping spoonfulls of the fancy side dishes you spent hours making. They will be lucky to eat the leftovers their children leave on their plates. On that note, the kids at the party will have minimal interest in the cutesy, themed food items you painstakingly prepared just for them. Unless, of course, it involves brightly colored, stain-inducing icing. (Sidenote: Although it may make for really cute pictures, your friends may frown on you for letting the children repeatedly stick their fingers in the icing and enthusiastically licking them off. You will have a lot of cake leftover if you do this.)

This 2/3rds rule applies to paper products (cups/plates, etc.) as well. Most likely, families will be eating off the same plate!

3. Keep party favors hidden until the guests are ready to leave. Toddlers have zero tolerance for delayed gratification, so unless you want all your adorable little goody bags torn to pieces before the party even starts, hold off on handing them out until each kiddo is heading home.

4. Keep "organized" (is there such a thing when toddlers are involved?) games to a minimum. What kid wants to stand in line for pin-the-tail-on-whatever when they can run around throwing water balloons at each other? Opt for "free-play" type activities instead.

5. Before the party, buy a package of sticky labels--the kind you would use to print addresses on for envelopes. Write each guest's name on a label, and as your child opens presents, stick the corresponding label directly on each gift so you remember who it's from. You can make out the thank-you list once the wrapping-paper madness dies down.

6. Always invite at least one friend or family member that doesn't have kids and nominate them as your photographer/videographer. You might want to offer this friend a small bottle of tequila to make the job more fun.

With that said, remember that the kids will have fun, no matter what!

3 comments:

Josh and Jen said...

You make me laugh!!!

The Schmitt Family said...

Love it! Thanks for the tips. I will certainly keep these in mind :-)

JennLeon said...

Amen sister! I did the same thing for Ava's party in Lewis and I think I was the only one worried about 4th of July themed food and whether or not I had mini buns for the BBQ beef sandwiches!! We are going to drive ourselves to an early grave!!